AccorHotels' strategic vision
AccorHotels, the world’s benchmark hotelier
Present in 92 countries.
Nearly 3,900 hotels and 510,000 rooms.
An extensive brand portfolio, with a comprehensive range of options from luxury to economy: Sofitel, Pullman, MGallery, Grand Mercure, The Sebel, Novotel, Suite Novotel, Mercure, Mama Shelter, Adagio, ibis, ibis Styles, ibis budget, hotelF1.
Today, AccorHotels is much more than a global leader, it’s a group of 180,000 hoteliers who share the same passion.
Our ambition is to be the world’s benchmark hospitality player so we can offer our guests, employees and partners a unique experience.
In order to fulfill this ambition, on 3rd June 2015, the Group announced that it was entering a new playing field, and would be more open, more connected and more assertive, so it can continue to shake up hospitality industry conventions.
Spurred by Sébastien Bazin, its Chairman and CEO, the Group’s strategy is based on several fundamentals:
- a new name, AccorHotels, and a new promise, Feel Welcome, expressed through an updated visual identity.
- two fields of expertise: operating and franchising hotels (HotelServices) and owning and investing in hotels (HotelInvest);
- a large portfolio of internationally renowned brands covering the full spectrum, with luxury (Sofitel, Pullman, MGallery, Grand Mercure, The Sebel), economy (ibis, ibis Styles, ibis budget, adagio access and hotelF1), and midscale (Novotel, Suite Novotel, Mercure, Mama Shelter, Adagio) establishments;
- A powerful marketplace and a well-known loyalty program Le Club AccorHotels
- Almost half a century’s commitment to corporate citizenship and solidarity with the PLANET 21 program.
We express our personality through a strong identity.
Accor becomes AccorHotels and reasserts its greatest strengths: its passion for hospitality and for the hotel industry professions.
Feel Welcome is the new signature that illustrates this positioning. It encapsulates the concept of hospitality in just two words and expresses the simplest, warmest and most universal vision of the hotelier profession, as well as everything that makes it enriching and noble.
It is more than a signature, it is a promise that resonates as a pledge from a Group that is always open to cultures, talents and passions, wherever they are.
We bring complementary fields of expertise into play.
In order to ensure its long-term expansion, AccorHotels already instigated significant changes at the end of 2013 to leverage the complementarity of its two historical fields of expertise: operating and franchising hotels, and owning and investing in hotels.
The Group is now organized around two strategic divisions:
HotelServices (operation and franchising).
This division encompasses the 3,000 hotels/510,000 rooms operating under the Group’s brands.
Its mission is to manage operations at these hotels and provide the best choice of services for partner hotel owners (for example including strong brands and a powerful distribution system).
The goal for HotelServices is to maximize fees, speed up CRM and loyalty-building drives, shift the group deeper into the digital realm, and roll out a strategy in each segment to bolster the Group’s brands.
HotelInvest (ownership and investment).
This division comprises the 1,300 hotels that AccorHotels owns or the Group manages via leases.
Its mission is to streamline and manage the existing asset portfolio through disposals and acquisitions based on three criteria: margin, cash generation and location.
The goal for HotelInvest is to establish the leading hotel investor in the economy and midscale segments in Europe, focus on cash-flow generation and reduce result volatility, optimize CAPEX (Capital Expenditure) allocation strategy and support AccorHotels’ development by investing selectively in properties.
We put our internationally renowned brands on the map.
AccorHotels is the only hotel group spanning the full luxury to economy spectrum.
Its extended choice of international brands puts it in a position to cater for customers’ new wants, needs and behavior patterns more effectively.
Each Group brand treats customers to a unique hospitality experience. These brands are already organized in 3 segments: Luxury/Upscale, Midscale and Economy. The goal, here, is to enable the Group to consolidate its expertise and secure its leadership.
Each segment is pursuing clear objectives:
Luxury/Upscale: continuously improve service excellence and develop flagship hotels in cities with a view to enhancing brand value.
This segment encompasses:
- Sofitel, France’s only luxury hotel chain, which has 121 hotels in almost 41 countries. Sofitel and its Ambassadors (employees), bring French class to the world, in a collection of hotels that treat customers and partners to services with a personal touch, to kindle emotion while driving performance and attaining excellence.
- MGallery, a collection of upscale hotels brimming with remarkable character, distinctive design, and history. This brand is building on the success story it has been writing since its inception in 2008, and pushing ahead with its selective development around handpicked hotels featuring unrivalled personalities.
- Pullman, an upmarket hotel brand encapsulating the executive lifestyle. It caters to cosmopolitan world travelers from around the world, on business trips or holidays. Pullman is a new-generation hotel for new-generation, hyper-connected customers on the go.
Midscale: expansion and innovation to bolster the range and brand differentiation.
This segment encompasses:
- Novotel, one of the Group’s historical brands, the pacesetter in the midscale hotel segment, and a family hotel expert with its Family&Novotel deals. These hotels cater to businesspeople and holidaymakers in downtown spots in the main international cities, business districts and tourist destinations.
- Mercure, the world’s third-largest midscale hotel chain* and the only midscale hotel brand that combines the muscle of an international network, uncompromising quality and a home-away-from-home experience in hotels steeped in their local ethos, and run by enthusiastic hoteliers who guarantee that no two hotels are alike.
- Mama Shelter, which offers more than simply rooms or restaurants. Mama Shelter is a living and meeting space, a true urban refuge that's not just beautiful, modern and lively but also popular, friendly and sexy. Curl up on its sofas and savor its sharing plates, enjoy a drink and relax, you can sleep like a baby... Mama takes care of everything!!
Economy: take the ibis brand family’s success to the next level to cement its leadership.
In September 2011, the Group reorganized its economy brands into a more consistent, clearer and more appealing line-up, harnessing ibis, a strong brand with an enviable reputation worldwide. As a result, all seasons is now ibis Styles and Etap Hotel ibis budget.
The new ibis family encompassed 1,929 hotels at the end of December 2015. The new fully redesigned common areas in ibis and ibis budget hotels guarantee guests will enjoy an all-new experience of hospitality, as well as trailblazing services to take comfort to the next level. Ultimate comfort is particularly important for the ibis family: it entirely revamped its bedding in 2012, and now treats customers to its hallmark great night’s sleep in a bed packed with state-of-the-art technology and expertise from specialists across the Group.
We leverage innovation to increase our operational excellence.
As the world leader, AccorHotels boasts significant distribution clout.
AccorHotels is the first global hotel group to offer distribution and digital services to partner hotels.
- With 329 million visits a year, AccorHotels.com is establishing itself as the benchmark hotel booking platform. It is now open to independent hotels, offering visitors exactingly selected hotels and powerful solutions. The booking portal is available in 28 languages.
- AccorHotels, the Group’s single mobile application, is designed to revolutionize the use of mobile devices for tourism. Every user can now enjoy this must-have travel companion, which represents yet another example of AccorHotel’s ability to constantly enhance the guest experience at every stage of their journey.
- Le Club Accorhotels, the loyalty program, is free of charge, covers every Group brand and every country worldwide, and now boasts around 24 million members.
We think big when it comes to the Group’s development.
Our development strategy has two main fronts:
- cementing the Group’s leadership in Europe
- swiftly developing its presence in emerging countries.
AccorHotels is still looking at significant growth potential in Europe. The Group is leveraging its leadership to roll out its vigorous development strategy, focusing especially on economy hotels because these chains still have low penetration rates in many countries. Repositioning economy hotel brands around ibis will afford us an additional advantage.
AccorHotels is also aiming to bolster its presence in emerging countries in general and in high-potential countries such as Brazil, India and China in particular. Its two hotel network acquisitions in 2012 – Mirvac in Australia and Grupo Posadas in Latin America – and the major strategic alliance sealed with Huazhu for China at the end of 2014, mirror this drive.
The Group is leveraging its expansion by:
- Tailoring its brands more closely to local preferences and enhancing their flexibility,
- Investing selectively in high-margin projects in prime locations, especially in the economy segment in Europe,
- Ramping up franchise development in the midscale and economy segments,
- Harnessing external growth opportunities, i.e. partnerships or acquisitions, to consolidate the Group’s leadership in the most attractive markets with asset-light operations.
We develop our in-house talent.
The human factor is central to the hospitality industry.
180,000 people are behind the success of AccorHotels. Every day they welcome close to 500,000 guests with the same acclaimed enthusiastic attitude, welcoming spirit and professional flair in 92 countries.
To maintain this quest for excellence, the Group’s HR teams are keen on attracting talent across the board, empowering people to grow in sync with our international expansion and technological breakthroughs, and embracing diversity.
AccorHotels is blazing new trails and building skills to tackle this challenge with new career paths and an active training program.
The Group has more than 170 courses, an 18-strong Academy network spanning the globe and a choice of pioneering training methods, making it the world’s foremost hotel school.
This is all the more decisive now that job descriptions in the hotel business are undergoing far-reaching changes. AccorHotels is not just building professional management skills (encompassing revenue management) and sales skills: it is shaping the jobs that hotels will need tomorrow, creating new business lines, and building a pool of professional talent that will keep us in the lead on the market.
We reinvent hotels sustainably.
Sustainable development and solidarity are key priorities for AccorHotels.
The Group has taken a strong stand on the planet and the communities hosting its hotels with its PLANET 21 program, which it kicked off in 2012.
The Group has not just entered into a buoyant expansion phase: it is also reasserting its vision of smart, responsible development, i.e. development that generates value for everyone to share. PLANET 21 is taking its sustainable development agenda to the next level, to harness it as a decisive competitive advantage for AccorHotels, its brands and its partners.
It is doing this with its customers, who are increasingly aware of social and environmental issues, in mind. It has made 21 commitments, with specific targets that every hotel will be required to achieve this year. PLANET 21 is AccorHotels’ way of placing sustainable hospitality at the core of the Group’s strategy, development and innovation.