Novotel Auckland Airport rewarded for its environmental commitment!
From the design phase the Novotel Auckland put sustainable development at the heart of its activity!
The hotel opened in May 2011 and by March 2012 had obtained EarthCheck certification, acknowledging its environmental and social performance.
It was also picked as the pilot hotel to host the New Zealand launch of PLANET 21 on 12 April!
Today, it has received the sector's environmental initiative award as an accolade to its accomplishments on the 7 pillars of PLANET 21.
The achievements of the Novotel Auckland Airport
- Use of paint with low content of harmful VOCs (volatile organic components).
- Formaldehyde- and PVC-free furniture and finishes.
- Target for end 2012: 50% of eco-label housekeeping products.
- Use of rainwater recovered on the Auckland airport site.
- All bathrooms fitted with water efficient taps.
- Waste target for end 2012: 75% of recycling.
- Implementing composting of organic waste.
- Selective waste sorting in the rooms.
- Recycling of cooking oil, paper, plastic, glass and batteries.
- Use of local plants and trees in the hotel and its surroundings.
- Participation in the Group reforestation programme, Plant for the Planet.
- The hotel also has the country's biggest indoor living plant wall!
- Building Management System (BMS) to control room temperatures and optimise energy consumption.
- Lighting management system to adapt lighting to the type of room, time of day and occupancy.
- Thermal and acoustic insulation levels three times higher than New Zealand standards!
- Use of FSC-accredited timber from New Zealand forests for construction.
- Use of "toi toi", a tall grass native to New Zealand, for curtain and bead-heads.
- Use of local produce (aromatic herbs, beef, pork, fish, etc.) in the restaurant.
- Employees trained in the importance of sustainable development and its application in their jobs.
- Sustainable development missions and goals incorporated in the job descriptions.
- Partnership with the Ministry of Social Development: some thirty youngsters on job insertion have followed professional training internships in the hotel since it opened.
- 100% of suppliers of the Novotel Auckland Airport signed the Purchasing Charter 21.